Saturday 2 April 2016

DO NOT FEAR

#bible study #fear #phobos #wordstudy #greek

Matthew 17:7

RISE AND HAVE NO FEAR

Its a noteworthy feature of Koine Greek and the Greek New Testament that Jesus several times tells his disciples NOT TO BE AFRAID

MEE PHOBOEISTHE  

and in Luke 12:32

MEE PHOBOU

Note both are Imperative Middle forms!

While #Phobos and #Phobeomai sometimes get translated as respect or awe the major usual meaning is FEAR.

Faith is one answer to faith and these commands not to be afraid are usually accompanied by an exhortation or a rebuke about  having faith and trust.

My Concordance lists three columns of biblical references to fear and most of the New Testament ones are about other people fearing Jesus because of his abilities not just to perform miracles but to speak the truth.

Fear is on my mind at the moment cos a minor phobia has flared up regarding a certain piece of communication technology probably cos I associate it with bad news  and stress and irritation.

I'm trying to take comfort and hopefully break that phobia from these two and one other verse.

 1 John 4:8

There is no fear in Love but Perfect Love casts out Fear.

Well those three verses and reminding myself a certain object is just a chunk of plastic and electronics and NOT created primarily to frustrate and annoy me.

Yeah I'm talking about my mobile!!!

Not the TV though I may sin grievously if I ever find out who or what creates interference that blocked my TV signal during Grantchester's first new episode in months ... fortunately there was a next day repeat.

Yes I like Grantchester the TV version and novels.

RISE AND FEAR NOT

and meditating on that I will soon rise from the computer and take a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment